Monday, May 10, 2010

Jazz Fest

My recap of the first weekend of the New Orleans Jazz Fest is a little late, and still all I can say is - what a weekend! Music Music Music, very little sleep, then more music, a horse and buggy ride and a fabulous dinner! A group of us went to celebrate the marriage of our good friends Meagan and Kent - pictured here with the fabulous Lionel Ritchie in the background...

I was so excited to see Simon and Garfunkel reunite at the festival and while the charm of it was wonderful, the quality was well...not great. Poor Art Garfunkel's voice just isn't what it used to be. He just can't hit those high notes anymore. Bridge Over Troubled Waters was literally painful for the crowd and him. We all cheered him on just so he could get through it. I wanted desperately to hear The Boxer, but I was afraid that hearing him butcher my first and probably last live version of the song would just ruin it for me so we walked over to see My Morning Jacket, another great band, playing with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.

I will leave you with my most favorite version of The Boxer (and probably my most favorite song of all time) from The Concert in Central Park September 19, 1981. In this spectacular version they add some additional lyrics to the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment