Sunday, April 11, 2010

San Francisco, Then

This is some wonderful footage of San Francisco in 1906, just four days before the Earthquake. It was taken with a camera mounted to a cable car. I love it for so many reasons. The few women that you do see are wearing long dresses and big feathered hats. There are absolutely no traffic lights, so cars, people and horse drawn wagons are scurrying all over the place while the cable car just moves along down Market Street towards the Ferry Building.



I love black and white photography and old movie footage. I started collecting black and white postcards when I was in high school. Every time I would go to the mall I would pop into Z Gallerie (when it used to be mostly an art store) and buy a funky black and white picture. It wasn't long before I had enough to make a border all the way around my room just below my ceiling. I have all but one stashed away in a box. The one that is out on my fridge is a picture of about 100 pieces of toast all lined up on one table with about 20 toasters lined up on another table. A great reminder of how perfect and simple a slice of toast is.

No comments:

Post a Comment